Association for Political Thought
The APT seeks an administrative assistant to help with all aspects of website maintenance, and organisation and administration of the Political Thought Conference held annually at St.Catherines College, Oxford, January (next conference January 9-11 2020). The person appointed will work closely with and under the direction of Elizabeth Frazer, University of Oxford, Chair of the APT, Joint Conference Convenor Prof Gary Browning, Oxford Brookes University, and the Academic Convenors of the conference, who are appointed annually. This is a very part time post, estimated at on average 1-2 hours per week across the year, with most work in the 3-4 months prior to the conference; the postholder must be willing to work in Oxford for the three days of the conference.
- Regular scrutiny, and updating of the APT website, and APT email, including posting members’ news etc;
- maintaining the conference registration facility on the APT website;
- responding to enquiries;
- maintaining a database of registered participants;
- producing lists for St Catherine’s College and others as required;
- producing invoices, maintaining financial records of invoices raised;
- communicating with conference participants regarding special needs;
- assisting with communication with and organisation of events for sponsors and publishers;
- assisting with the production of the conference schedule and other documents;
- compiling individualised conference packs for participants including tickets for meals and accommodation.
During the conference:
- assisting with the organisation and set up of the St Catherine’s facilities;
- assisting with publishers’ exhibitions as appropriate;
- presiding over a registration desk at the conference (in particular on Thursday afternoon, and Friday morning), distributing conference packs, selling meal tickets;
- liaising with St Catherine’s conference staff regarding numbers attending each meal in hall – keeping appropriate records of tickets sold and money received;
We anticipate that hours will approximate an average of 3-4 per week in the period November to December; and 3 full days (25 hours) in January, plus website maintenance throughout the year, totalling 60-75 hours.
Pay will be £10 per hour; post holders are responsible for their own tax liability; we do not run a PAYE system. Candidates must provide evidence of right to work.
Applicants should send a CV, including details of past administrative experience, to firstname.lastname@example.org AND to email@example.com by July 15 2019. Doctoral candidates should also seek the approval of their supervisor before applying. Interviews of shortlisted candidates, by skype or in Oxford, will be held on Wednesday July 24 2019.